Any Linux users here?

Yes I do, unfortunately. :smiley:

I got lucky with my last round. I sunk quite a few hours into it before boxing it back up and was about to return it. I then read about inserting a blank sim and turning data on. I didn’t have a blank sim handy so I tried my active sim, and it worked. Got the OEM unlock and then ‘fastboot flashing unlock’ worked.

Interesting, I didn’t have a SIM in it. Oh well, at least a little smurf has a new gadget! Speaking of smurfs, yours is any week now, isn’t it?

In case you try just to see, my steps were: Inserted sim, turned mobile data on, rebooted, ungreyed OEM unlock, switched it, put the phone into fastboot mode, connected to laptop via usb and ran ‘fastboot flashing unlock’

Due the 24th. Very soon, seeming like it might be early. Might have been the perfect time for the company I was working for to tank, in that way. I have some money saved, so we’ll be good until I find something else.

Holy moly, that could be any time soon then right enough. Fingers and toes crossed everything goes smoothly!

Yea, hopefully. Everything has looked good up to this point. And the spurt has been very active, especially lately.

1 Like

41 posts were split to a new topic: Linux to Mac

Moved the pumpkin spice latte talk to a new thread. Apologies for any confusion caused.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Pumpkin spice latte (Linux to Mac)

Nah good call

I’m going to swerve going Linux phone at the moment, turns out that Ubuntu Touch doesn’t have a fully featured, stable email app yet. I would have thought there’d have been a bit of a choice by now.

I got another phone with the intention of installing UT on it before learning of that bombshell, just going to install LineageOS with microG again on it. But I need to wait 168 hours for the bootloader to unlock because of Xiaomi rules. Ho di hum.

1 Like

Pipewire worked fine with XFCE, and it was nice having EasyEffects. Anyone tried Pipewire with Gnome? Before I possibly hose something.

I already have a pipewire library installed as a dependency of other packages, but I don’t know anything about it:

~> pacman -Qi pipewire
Name            : pipewire
Version         : 1:0.3.58-1
Description     : Low-latency audio/video router and processor
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://pipewire.org
Licenses        : MIT  LGPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : libpipewire-0.3.so=0-64
Depends On      : alsa-card-profiles  libdbus-1.so=3-64  libglib-2.0.so=0-64
                  libncursesw.so=6-64  libsndfile.so=1-64  libudev.so=1-64
                  libusb-1.0.so=0-64  libasound.so=2-64  libsystemd.so=0-64
                  libbluetooth.so=3-64  libsbc.so=1-64  libldacBT_enc.so=2-64
                  libfreeaptx.so=0-64  libfdk-aac.so=2-64  libopus.so=0-64
                  liblilv-0.so=0-64  libwebrtc_audio_processing.so=1-64
Optional Deps   : pipewire-docs: Documentation
                  pipewire-session-manager: Session manager [installed]
                  pipewire-alsa: ALSA configuration
                  pipewire-jack: JACK support
                  pipewire-pulse: PulseAudio replacement
                  gst-plugin-pipewire: GStreamer plugin [installed]
                  pipewire-zeroconf: Zeroconf support
                  pipewire-v4l2: V4L2 interceptor
                  pipewire-x11-bell: X11 bell
                  realtime-privileges: realtime privileges with rt module
                  rtkit: realtime privileges with rtkit module [installed]
Required By     : fluidsynth  gst-plugin-pipewire  mutter  obs-studio
                  pipewire-media-session  telegram-desktop  xdg-desktop-portal
Optional For    : chromium  electron  electron17  electron19  qt5-webengine
                  qt6-webengine  sdl2
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 8.25 MiB
Packager        : Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <heftig@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Thu 15 Sep 2022 17:16:02 BST
Install Date    : Fri 07 Oct 2022 01:38:38 BST
Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script  : Yes
Validated By    : Signature

I guess it is installed by default in Manjaro Gnome, but Pulseaudio is enabled by default instead of Pipewire. Interesting. I didn’t even think to look if it was installed yet. It wasn’t installed by default in Manjaro XFCE, but it works well there after uninstalling Pulseaudio. I’ll have to remove Pulseaudio tomorrow and see how it goes.

Pipewire seems to be working fine in Manjaro Gnome. Just in case anyone needs it, this is what is required: Install ‘manjaro-pipewire’ and any optional dependencies you might like. Uninstall ‘pulseaudio-alsa’. Restart. This was the same as on Manjaro XFCE. Gnome tends to be an ass about some things, so I wasn’t sure if there would be a difference.

Actually, maybe everything isn’t well. When watching video cpu temp shoots up fast. It seems to be a lie though. Playing a video immediately shoots up the temp without time for that to happen.

Don’t do it on Manjaro Gnome. The process of reverting from Pipewire to Pulseaudio is badly buggered up.

I have a bit of OS install fatigue at the moment. Lineage OS 19 isn’t as stable on this new phone as 17 was on the last, which was rock solid and zero issue. This time around I’m having to reboot every other day because of slowdowns and every now and then there’s an unresponsive GUI.

Got replacement laptop with proper 90Wh battery and am going to chill on Win 11 before getting Manjaro set up on the 2nd SSD slot.

Yea, this stuff can definitely wear on you. Good luck with the phone.

I think I might have switched to Gnome from XFCE yesterday. After a handful of settings changes, it’s nicer than XFCE for sure.

Gnome is nice, check out some of the extensions too. I like the “Hide Top Bar” one which is just about perfect, but there’s a buglet where it makes the text input box on the big search screen after pressing meta/iwndows key a bit small.