Plugins, things to look out for (and listen for)

Yeah I specifically looked for the EVH speakers but they dont have a DSR release unfortunately
Just whats on that linked page

Damn. Looks like they have neither the EVH or G12M Heritage (same speaker) as a DSR, only as a IR.

Bevo, having a quick look for info on Speakermix Pro I ran into this post:

You might try loading some IR’s that you already have into Speakermix Pro and see if it might be worth buying IR’s of the EVH.

1 Like

BlueLab Plugins calls it quits, makes everything free
You can download everything in 1 bundle

White Sea Studio did a comparison of popular tape saturation plugins here.

I didn’t find the comparison itself super useful since it didn’t get into details about the sound of each plugin or meaningful audio comparisons and audio characteristics of each plugin. But he did mention one plugin called Chow Tape Model that supposedly doesn’t alias (the only one of all of them), is very flexible with it’s provided controls albeit more complex to use, is free and open source, and is cross platform including Linux (also available from the AUR for Arch and Manjaro). I will check it out at some point.

I gave Chow a quick try. I definitely do see some aliasing happening when feeding it high frequencies (10k for example), but I don’t hear it, at least in isolation. Seems like this one would be worth exploring.

I need to try and get Nebula up and running again. Years ago a friend gave me a crappy recording of guitar/vox done with the built-in stereo mic from a Tascam version of a Zoom H4n type thing. Blasted it with a bunch of mixing console and tape emu presets and it went from cold and horrible to something that sounded like you’d come across some forgotten nugget from the 70s.

Examples that I have heard from Nebula sounded nice, like real analog realm nice, not like realistic hardware gui but crappy emulation. Dense harmonics and warmth is what I remember hearing. I think Garrick runs Nebula, or did at one time. Maybe he has some details on setting it up on Linux. I never jumped in due to the latency, where I primarily mix on the fly while playing things (or did before I bailed on recording).

Chow sounds like it could be useful after an initial play around using some drums nabbed from youtube. Performance isn’t good with 16x oversampling though, and it cuts out at 16x with cpu use hovering at ~10% with a single instance. 8x is much better cpu wise and sounds pretty good to me. It seems to respond well to pushing it with eq too, which is nice since upper harmonics seemed less rich than I wanted to hear without an eq pushing it. It may be worth here trying the boost and cut trick, boosting it for more saturation and compression for cutting the same after to not have those frequencies too exaggerated. And the opposite for other frequencies.

Had my play around with Chow for the night. It can get pretty gritty. This is it dry then wet 2X through with some reaeq before it to push and pull some things.
https://app.box.com/s/wpnxmw668zdsrukyrq7wrl15x55nvbjl

Was trying for some fairly heavy saturation / grit, more openness and forwardness, and some added upper harmonics.

And pushing it further:
https://app.box.com/s/xixjruhnbtelqcr8ajtwi8nz5emwf1d0

What did he say about the Slate one?

I remember using just that plus their VCC console emulator,
that combo alone made everything sound better as I remember, even on released mastered stuff (probably mp3s :smiley: )
It does something pleasing to the low end and low mids, warmer and grittier, like an EL34
At least, that’s how I remember it

Always open to finding something better though

He said that he liked the Slate and Softube plugins most out of all of them because they were easiest to use. Can’t fault him for wanting something easy to use, but that left things up in the air in terms of sound. I think the Slate one had a level bump, low mids and lows bump, and heavier overall compression. I think none of them are going to nail tape (like amp sims), but for what they are, probably any of them can be pushed with an eq and squashed more with a compressor if needed to get something useful over dry tracks.

Chow has a lot of controls, but I do like that all the sections are separated, so if you want more saturation but less compression, you can do that. And if you want more saturated lows or more saturated highs, you can do that in the plugin. And the same with the other sections being separated. Or I should say, having more parameters to control all those things. It seems versatile and capable of adding some nice character, leaning more on the warmer and fatter side. But it responds well to eq for getting brighter stuff too, not getting mid scooped, cloudy, and hashy from crazy amounts of aliasing. Or least that’s what I hear.

Good channel here so far on getting into a little theory on how plugins do their things. I thought that he would be another substance anemic click-baiter, but it wasn’t so. Good stuff on understanding some basic dsp things better so that we can get more out of using the stuff.

Hopefully sseb finds a way to keep doing that sort of thing without becoming an ‘influencer’. I would like to see a lot more of this stuff become the norm, rather than the current dominance of info-bait.

Dan Worrall has some good stuff on his channel too. I’m not a big fan of music always playing in the background and being ducked by the dialog (it gives me watching / listening fatigue pretty fast) as what is the norm in most of his videos, but some of the info that Dan puts out there is really good stuff. For example (and no music in the background on this one):

The videos that he did on Reacomp, explaining it’s limitations and getting around them, getting features added, and getting different compression styles from it stuck in my head too.