Pumpkin spice latte (Linux to Mac)

Running hot enough to cause concern for longevity and being annoyed by fans running too often and too high with the device still running hot enough for concern.

If you want hard numbers, go cherry pick them from your favorite rag.

Yeah, well, that’s the issue isn’t it. Of concern to who? People who own mac books? I’ve not heard much complaining.

This is under my desk!

And I took that photo with my iphone 12 mini. Which is awesome, because of how small and light and convenient it is, and it outperforms pretty much anything else in it’s convenience range.

You don’t speak for everyone. I would easily say that most people buying a Macbook Pro are looking for high performance and ease of use in a portable device.

A phone is a different case for performance. Essentially, low enough latency for a good user experience and long battery life. Most people aren’t doing demanding video editing, audio processing, playing AAA games, or compiling large code bases on phones.

The iphone is actually pretty good at video editing.

The mac book’s are better than anything else in their portable convenience range as far as I can tell. Is there anything out there you’d consider better?

If people didn’t value the convenience of light, small, and long battery life, they’d just buy 17" laptops with 3080 gpu’s.

I’m talking about pro level video editing, not making tik-tok videos.

Define ‘better’.

Still better than anything else as convenient.

What does ‘better’ mean?

Better means better at video editing than anything else that people didn’t buy instead, because they don’t want to lug around a 17" laptop, with a 3080 gpu, fuck all battery life, and that dies because it can’t support it’s own weight without suffering mechanical failure when used in a truly portable sense.

And the mac books are straight up better than many of those in terms of outright performance, depending on the workload. Video editing being one workload that they’re specifically good at.

During the ‘burst’ moments when it isn’t thermalling?

Have you actually done any video editing on a mac book pro?

What do you compare it to?

What compromises do you have to make to get better sustained better sustained performance?

What would you buy instead?

I haven’t. Have you done any video editing on a laptop with a 3080 gpu? I imagine it will lay waste to the latest macbook pro in gpu performance.

Yep. We have some at TAFE. They’re good. They’re also HUGE compared to a mac book, and have crap battery life in a mobile form. And, they don’t always outperform the mac book, depending on what codec you’re working with, and what software you’re using.

Not quiet or cool either. Definitely not what I’d lug around with me.

The mac book is often more than good enough in performance, and far better in every other way.

Which laptop? ‘Huge’ you say?

If you’re going for a high performance gpu, it’s pretty obvious that battery life is going to be compromised in trade. And in the case of using the dedicated gpu over the igpu, it is pretty well understood to be plugged in.

This isn’t really saying anything without saying something specific. I would imagine that Apple’s software is optimized for their hardware.

Yeah, well, I know what I’d rather take to an outdoor video shoot using prores cameras.

Awfully nice to not have to have a portable generator to get some work done.

So you’re doing demanding video editing onsite? Why?

Because when you’re doing a shoot, it can be handy to be able to do some quick mock up’s of the end goal, and have a look before you decide what to do next.

Also handy for short projects, specifically advertising work, to be able to give the client something before they leave that is pretty close to the finished product.

If I was doing the editing back in the studio, I wouldn’t be doing it on a laptop at all.

Lots of mentions out there that the M1 for hardware encoding is both slow and poorer quality than software for H.264 (the common standard). So I would imagine that a pc with gpu would be the way to go that. If you’re not doing any encoding for end users (prores capture to prores editing; @ that apple tax), it wouldn’t be an issue.

Amazing what happens when adequate cooling is added to a machine:

But I guess using space for a heatsink and fan robs this device of ultimate portability. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Potential performance wasted. But if portability is actually something that really matters, then it might be worth it. Cost is a factor too. Better cooling in the same form factor has costs. Noise, power usage, money.

It does get silly if you buy a very high power draw cpu, that is never going to give you value for money with a given cooling setup, when you could have got a cheaper one that gives you the same or similar performance cause it can run at it’s full potential.

I really don’t see that as being the case here.

For a mini pc (think apple studio), I doubt that ultimate portability is an issue for the vast majority of people, else they would be using a small laptop, not a desktop monitor, keyboard, mouse (and desk itself). Costwise, performant mini pc’s aren’t exactly the best value any way. Adding $50 to the price for a heatsink and fan so that the thing can run at full performance isn’t exactly offputting. And a fan can be controlled for the situation. So noise is really a non-issue. Off when not needed. On when something heavy needs to be crunched.