What programing/scripting languages do you use and why?

I love how it’s readable.

So often code is so cryptic that I’m never sure if it’s really sophisticated or the dev is having a wank.

Lookee! :smiley:
Code evaluates in the same window, out of the box in Doom
No terminal required
Just type:
SPC c e … and voila

@Snookoda if you can handle SPC as your Vim leader, you’ll love it
I used SPC as leader last time on Nano , so it suits me
Works exactly like Vim AFAICT
I may have to learn elisp now to make the tweaking faster

Yeah, I’m not a fan of all of that squishing as much as possible into one line with no spaces, as if that makes stuff faster. It’s borderline obfuscation, which could be the point!

The things people are doing with shaders is impressive. I’m just beginning to add some effects to a game so am dipping a toe in and don’t plan or have the ability to get fully soaked. :slight_smile:

@Bevo : I don’t know what an SPC is and even if I did I wouldn’t use emacs!!!

I’m not really a hardcore vimmer, I just use :E or :e to navigate around and enjoy the editing commands. Still not 100% sure how to exit it. :smiley:

@Snookoda and @Bevo. Both look like nifty stuff.

I’m a vim simpleton too. For that matter, I probably don’t use more than a dozen or so keys in any given application. That seems to be about my cutoff ratio of personal usefulness to thinking too much about the application. I had no idea about the leader key. It does look to be very useful.

@Gazza, that shader business looks pretty alien to me.

I think Bevo might be a tool boss/junkie.

I may be seeing some of the value in his ways.

I think a useful little program might be one to flash key bindings or other info to meat memory using the Leitner system (spaced repetition), at least for the memory challenged (aye!). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leitner_system

@Bevo posted an app that does that in the Software thread!

https://apps.ankiweb.net/ - flashcard app for memorising

I have used Anki in the past, and I wasn’t a fan of it. I might have to give it another go though.

I might give it a whirl to learn something or other. We could make a deck of subjects covered here to share with @drumphil! :smiley:

snicker

nevermind

I’m brain dead today. I haven’t updated lately.

20 posts were split to a new topic: emacs / doom / editor group therapy

Came across Gogs for self-hosted Git repos with issue tracker and wiki stuff. UI looks like GitHub. Can run locally, on a Pi or on the cl-somebodyelsescomputer-oud. Uses SQLite otb so it’s easy peasy setup - just download and run (on Linux, haven’t tried Win).

https://gogs.io

Snookoda, how did the assembly tinkering go a while back?

Just killing time today when I should be getting things done, and I ran onto a site called i-programmer.info with a section of book reviews. I remembered my nephew (and a former coworker) wanting to begin learning programming with Python, and I looked through a bunch of beginner Python books for them without ever finding anything worth recommending. I spotted one today in the book review section of i-programmer.info called Hello World!: Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners. Looks like a good time for complete beginners that teaches some programming, not just one on a thousand Python books that quickly hurls readers into object-oriented programming by chapter 2.

I noodled for a while, I wrote an extremely small and crappy bare metal text adventure game in asm that booted straight from USB. I did a victory lap after that and dropped it. :slight_smile:

Victory lap deserved nonetheless.

I couldn’t recommend anything along those lines for Python or anything else. I remember watching a video with an experienced dev saying that if they ran a class the first couple wouldn’t have any code in it at all.

Cheers, yeah it’s was nice getting it out of qemu and booting on a real 'pute!

Now you have me curious. What were you running on qemu? I mean, how far did you go with it?

Qemu is more forgiving than actual hardware so I started in that.

You write (mostly copy/pasta) a bootloader and can stay in 16 bit mode or jump into 32 bit “protected” mode or 64 bit. You jump to the address you are loading your actual code to. You can use BIOS calls for I/O in 16 bit mode but do it a different way in 32 bit.

If you’re serious you can have fancy linker scripts and get it ready for grub or whatever but for noodling I didn’t bother. I ended up putting asm instructions to pad out the sections of code to size instead of using a linker script and just joined files together in a bat script.