Age limits instead of term limits.

I’ve been seeing more and more stories like this one lately.

Even Elon Musk had something to say on the subject. Stating that basically people don’t change and that older people tend to approach problems based on what worked in the past. And that given how much, and how quickly, things change, that perspective doesn’t always apply.

Yeah, there’s something to be said for having very experienced voices around but there should be a balance, as well as competency tests and ongoing training like there is in other professions. Also there are far too many lawyers and transfers from quangos and the like.

The opposite is true as well, too young with not enough life experience outside of education and some quango or other can’t be a recipe for success.

In the UK we have unelected “Lords” appointed in our version of the upper house. In a way it’s good that they don’t have to please anybody to keep their jobs but they can also hang around well past their sell by dates.

Agreed.

We have that for President, you have to be at least 35 to run for President. That’s covered in Article II of the Constitution. Don’t see why that shouldn’t apply to all elected officials.

Yeah, I can only imagine how keen some people in the WEF and other NGOs are to get their fresh indoctrinees into the saddle so any rule like that would cause panic in the ranks! It’s probably interested parties like them wanting the old guard to stand aside in the first place.

Anytime you change something, it’s going to piss somebody off.

Maybe it’s time for the bozos to get pissed off for a change.

I dunno, the problem seems to be the system itself. Old robots who almost invariably tow the party line being replaced, via the same system, with younger party line towing robots is just plastering over the cracks.

Everywhere I have ever lived it’s always been the same. The “old boy” network that basically sits behind the scenes and calls all the shots. The parties fall in line because that’s where most of the money comes from.

Growing up in Oklahoma I thought the old Baptists had everybody by the balls, which they did. But what we have here in Hawaii puts all of that to shame.

All the old money from descendants of the royal families and early white (mostly British, the state flag here still has the Union Jack on it) and Asian immigrants who pretty much built everything, but who also have the most to lose when the political bozos start messing around with the status quo.

Scale that up to the national and global levels and it’s all pretty much the same thing.

Not the old Illuminati or Bilderberger thing, just powerful people looking out for their own best interests.

But you have to admit, overall, in spite of all of that, at least here in the so called “west”, we’ve managed to do OK. Could it be better? Sure it can. But most everyday people are too busy just taking care of their families, paying their bills, etc. that they don’t have much time left over to do anything about it. Not that there’s a whole lot we can do about it to begin with.

Those in charge are very good at what they do because they’ve been doing it for a long, long time.

It’s difficult.

Some people are sharp as a tick until the day they die at 109, some people start to fall apart in their twenties.

There is no magic formula.

Many US Senators kept their seat, even though they weren’t running on all cylinders anymore mentally.

Or it may be observed that older people rely on ideas from their past that have never worked.

How about killing (or reversing) the seniority system so that old farts have less power the longer they stay?

Another underestimated factor is that the old farts often work a system where they meet and make deals in private, then show up in public to legislate the private deals.
My mayor loves to do that.
So transparency snd sunshine laws are important.
Also important is to have outsiders there to watchdog the insiders.