I was reading an article about Tik Tok and all the data it collects about it’s users.
I’m not picking on Tik Tok as I’m sure most apps on these devices do pretty much the same thing.
According to the article, here’s a summary of what Tik Tok collects:
- your name, age, username, email, password, phone number, location
- the content of messages, when they’re sent, received and read, and by whom
- text, images and videos on your clipboard
- purchase information, including payment card numbers, billing and shipping addresses
- a user’s activities on other websites and apps or in stores, including the products or services purchased, online or in person
- file names and types
- keystroke patterns and rhythms
- your IP address, mobile carrier, time zone settings, model of your device and operating system
- information about videos, images and audio
- objects and scenery that appear in your videos, including tourist attractions, shops or other points of interest
- biometric identifiers such as faceprints and voiceprints
- cookies that collect, measure and analyze which web pages users view most often and how they interact with content (this info allows TikTok to target videos, ads and political messages based on your habits and interests)
The article didn’t go into what they do with all of that. I’m sure most of it has to do with directed advertising and providing content you’ve expressed an interest in.
I guess we now know why these apps are “free”.