Monster Players

she kills it man…wow

shes just as comfortable in a more traditional carnatic idiom

magnifique

1 Like

John Williams was one of my idols when I studied classical guitar at the conservatory of music way back in 80s. And in case you’re wondering, no I was never anywhere even near that level. Which is why I went down another career path but that is another story.

The Gods of gypsy jazz: Le Quitette Hot Club de France. Django Reinhardt on guitar, Stephane Grappeli on violin. True legends.

1 Like

I feel that likely soon enough I will become tired of this particular style of guitar… but not quite yet!

The tone obtained by these players kinda mystifies me, how do you get such a clear strong tone, and in this case a mostly clean tone, so not relying on amp gain (?) playing so much tapping? Super high output pickups? Turn your compressor up to 11? Insights welcomed.

Talking about monster players, check out these 8 semi-finalists for the Klein international string competition. Absolutely incredible.

Heavy compression.
Get one with a blend knob to keep/tweak the attack, eg the Cali 76 Stacked looks pretty awesome, it’s on my list (or just do a parallel track in reaper and blend)
Tosin demos how he uses the Vice Grip compressor here to bring out his tapping and slapping

The other thing you can use for long clean sustained notes without that squashed sound is the Freqout pedal set to normal (no harmonics). Pete Thorn showed that trick in his youtube review of it, it won’t even out your sound though, but you can set it to momentary mode and just press down when you want the notes to hang.

Or use both. :smiley:

@Bevo Ah, cool, yah, set compressors for annihilate. :grinning: Not really my thing, the whole guitar as keyboard analogue thing, but I think I might try to steal a trick or two.

@peter5992 Skimmed it, couldn’t do the whole 2+ hrs lol. Would you agree with my impression that of the violin players, #2 and #8 were clearly on a different level than the others? And had much better instruments? Especially in the Gibson piece, with all that tension, it seemed like those players could really find the musicality of it and it seemed like a part of that was they had better sounding instruments.

It’s impossible to pick a favorite … all the instruments are so different, and the pieces they are asked to perform are so different.

I love them all, it was all so beautiful. And it isn’t over yet, tomorrow the competition continues.

Such a beautiful and inspiring thing to watch. It lifts me up, truly.

The winners are announced, see link below.

Going back to my previous, I actually have two favorites:

1. Enrique Rodriguez (sadly he didn’t end up in the top 4)
  2. Jiaxun Xao. But I love the cello, such an expressive instrument.

Wow. Apparently I know nothing about classical music. :grinning: I thought the 3rd place girl was unlistenable, I would have given the joint 4ths maybe joint 1st, and I didn’t realize the viola dude was playing a viola, I just thought maybe he was a little dude. No wonder I liked his tone best. :rofl: :joy: :rofl: But as mentioned, I skimmed. That Gibson piece must be fiendishly difficult, so awkward, and I barely recognize it between different players.

I guess she’s a monster. Check out that rhythm picking too.

I got some new-found respect for country players since I started studying fingerstyle

No joke. Right hand choppin’ like a sushi chef. Totes adorbs too. I think the dudes were superfluous. But hmmm, did they end 5 bpm faster than they started out?

Alchoholics desperate to get to the bar no doubt. Probably racists too, playing that kind of music.

A closeup of Molly Tuttle’s picking technique

Interesting that she mentioned elsewhere Dave Rawlings being an influence. I do hear a little of him in her lead playing.

Bob;

He kind of reminds me of Roy Clark. Someone who, in my opinion, never got the credit he deserved for how good of a guitar player he was.