Operation Paperclip

Couldn’t find the previous thread about this kind of thing but here is a makeshift yet permanent bit of engineering I came up with to solve a persistent recurring problem.

The problem was Commander hooks fails, in particular a wall clock falling down.

In this new abode a Commander hook was already there but failed after 12 months.

I’d never known a Commander hook to last more than maybe a year [adhesive product which sticks to walls, in particular a ‘dry wall’ e.g Gyprock, that ubiquitous chalky wall stuff]

I did away with the stick-on aspect [weak] and went with some good old fashioned physics [see below]

Here is a current picture of the wall clock in question

And here is a picture of the steel paperclip I modified to suspend the wall clock from.

The open ends are embedded into the wall on a downward angle.

Note how the inner loop of the wire supports one of the [upper] outer strands of the paperclip, all of which is supported by the foot of it, i.e the lower most part of the paperclip.

You can apply quite a bit of finger pressure to the top part of that apparatus and it’s very solid, as there’s a lot of grounded support.

The image below shows how the groove in the wooden clock fits the top section of the paperclip

Simple physics but effective, it could be improved by making it more upright but it’s sufficient as is

1 Like

Good idea, that will leave only very small holes too.

Yep the tiny holes can be filled with putty and when we leave here I’ll just reinstate the original Commander hook which will cover up the damage done by the original fail, the clock though wooden is not heavy, no liability here.

It’s a five foot drop, the clock could easily have been smashed or put out of order. Maybe I should leave instructions for future tenants lol

1 Like