Pumpkin spice latte (Linux to Mac)

Exactly. Then your complaint is with Apple’s graph and testing and lack of info about it.

Maybe we need to make something clear here: You want this guy’s test to be a complete system power draw test. But that isn’t what was intended at all. The video was made as a best attempt to recreate Apple’s graph of the M1 vs. 3090. And yes, of course Apple’s graph, testing, and lack of info is majorly flawed.

No, it isn’t. I don’t give a flying fuck about apple’s graph. It tells me as much as his practical testing.

Nothing, because it doesn’t have any real apple to apple data about the performance to watt of the competing GPU’s.

One is a pretty picture, and the other is a fatally flawed test methodology.

Independent tests done correctly is how I decide these issues.

But he doesn’t know how apple decided on their figures, and he tests in a way that would unfairly disadvantage the apple system. But we’re assuming that apple would test in a way that made their system look worse?

I can’t see anywhere that apple said they’re using wall power draw to measure how much power their GPU uses.

Do you have any independent tests to share? Or is haven’t noticed any issues when video editing good enough?

I don’t have time for factional bullshit. Computer fanboios or detractors.

Do you remember the war between NVIDA and ATI fans on the old forums? Ever spent time at NV News or RAGE 3D back in the day?

Have a look at some videos with people actually doing video editing on a mac book air, and have a look a scrubbing performance using prores or h265.

Then point me the competition.

Mad at Apple? :smiley:

Sigh, why do I feel like I’m arguing about the relative merits of two different kick drum pedals, with a guitarist.

Lol, I don’t want to fight about this. I must have said “fuck apple” three or four times today at work.

But their new chips are amazing at the media production workloads they’re optimized for.

You can’t do anything if you forget a vital dongle, or an external HDD, or any of the other things that you need when you have a locked down iGadget with a couple of USB-C ports and everything soldered to the mobo. Portability isn’t just about the size/weight of the laptop since there’s a reason for some of that weight, it’s not all about whether it fits in a handbag.

I remember saying when that Mac Pro came out that an AMD CPU + Nvidia GPU PC would have been a better combo because Nvidia had better hardware decoding on board and Xeon isn’t exactly the choice for performance. It looks like these benchmarks show this to be the case.

I’d also say “the grandfather” of the current AMD GPUs since they’ve made a lot of improvements since 2018/19. It’s clearly a bit unfair comparing the 14nm Xeon tech of yesteryear with the 5nm tech in the M2 (and new AMD processors, incidentally) as well.

Were you arguing that your iKick Air makes moving a kit around so much easier? Guitar Player: Try lugging a 412 cab or 410 combo, ya weenie.

Why in the hell hasn’t 17.3" 4k become a standard display yet? 17.3" is a good size for 1080p real estate, but it is low res (15.6" is too small for 1080). 4k at 200% scaling gives the same real estate at 1080 at much better resolution. That is a good real estate size and really good resolution for productivity uses in a laptop, plus 4k can be integer scaled to 1080 without a performance hit for gamers getting the most fps out of a mobile gpu and could be really handy for applications which don’t support high res. And it’s a good size and standard resolutions for video (4k and 1080).

And why haven’t egpu’s become a real thing? Not as in, hundreds of dollars for an egpu housing + gpu + limited selection of laptops that support an egpu.

Imagine the value, performance, and longevity of a 17.3" 4K Ryzen 7 machine + cost effective high performance egpu (not limited to mobile gpu’s). That could easily cover most use cases, aside from those people who need something really small, light, and battery efficient.

Too much free time right now. Imagine this. Tongue in cheek.

Now maybe this sounds overly idealistic and fanciful, but it is essentially what desktops became and remained at for decades. So then what is so special about laptops to be able to throw out such modularity, compatibility, and choice? And what about the environment? I alone have seen tons of laptops that get ditched because of a single failed component and no parts availability or no upgrade path. For example, how many gamers buy a new laptop because the gpu can’t be upraded or failed with no practical replacement available?

Sounds good to me. The Framework laptop is going in that direction, but with a 14" form factor and Intel processor. I’d like to see sockets and connectors return at the very least. Sacrifice those 2mm of thickness for the environment which isn’t served by gadgets that can’t be easily repaired or upgraded.

I have been keeping an eye on them. Why 14" though? I don’t get it. And I wonder if they do. I must be missing something.

I dunno, I think small and big should be options, same with AMD/Intel. Well, ditching Intel would be the sensible thing to do imo.

Why ditch Intel?

Because most people don’t want to lug around a desktop sized system that has crap battery life.

I have a 24" monitor on my desk. Much better than your 17.3" standard.

I don’t think you really get why people buy small light laptops. I lug my laptop EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME. Always has to be available. That’s so easy with a mac book air, and usually I don’t even have to worry about taking a charger for it.

Most 17 inch laptops that I see are stationary. Maybe migrate to a new office once a year.

Most people don’t lug a laptop around these days at all. We’re pretty far into the phone age at this point. And fewer people are using desktops these days, because you are glued to one spot and need a decicated setup and space for it. I can’t remember the last time I visited someone at home and saw a computer desk. Times have changed. And outside of work, I can’t remember the last time I saw anyone lugging around a laptop, other than maybe a stray gamer kid heading to someone’s house where there is power.

I can see someone who needs a laptop for frequently traveling to job sites preferring a small laptop. But that isn’t most people by far. A phone covers computing on the go for most people.

For anyone who uses a computer frequently, uses applications that have complex guis (such as Reaper), reads and writes alot of text, does some gaming, does some media editing, likes to move around freely in the house, go outdoors, and elsewhere where there is generally power and doesn’t need all day battery life, a 17.3" makes a lot of sense. And having a dedicated gpu can elliminate the need for a desktop machine altogether vs. having a laptop and a desktop (which probably gets used infrequently).

AMD is a better option for power draw these days. Plus Intel are famous for making deals with computer manufacturers to get them exclusively on Intel, so it’s time that was stopped now that “Intel Inside” isn’t a selling point.

There is always going to be back and forth, hopefully. But I wasn’t thinking at all about Intel exclusive bs (same goes for Microsoft).

And I’m reading that Microsoft has been ‘hobbling’ Ryzen 7000 performance.

The pumpkin spice latte machine arrived today. Initial impression:

The interface hardware is generally very nice to use. Keyboard is good to type on compared to my ancient thinkpad with the lauded old school keyboard. The touchpad is huge and fine to use but nothing special to me. The speakers get impressively loud* and have good bass, for laptop speakers. The display resolution is good, but I’m still definitely missing a larger display. And the display response seems sluggish to my eyes. And the glossiness is a little annoying in daylight. I didn’t think I would be, but I’m a fan of the touchbar so far.

*One of the speakers has an issue which could definitely be a cause to return to the seller. While I’m figuring that out, I’m going to put it through it’s paces a bit to see if I reallly want to stay on a mac, as well look at the possible thermal throttling issue of this model.

While I’m looking this thing over more, which way would the pc/linux guys here have went? Cap $1500 U.S. Good display resolution and size for 200% scaling, good keyboard, touchpad, speakers. Decently fast cpu with iGPU. dGPU would be nice for the occasion when I might want it and since battery life isn’t that important to me.