Sony going after DNS company??

Bit of a weird one, described in this video. Sony suing quad9 for resolving the hostname of this site:

https://canna-power.to/

I don’t they are suing google or cloudfare, just the little guy. This is terrible for the internet if a precedent is set here.

So, why do we care about this site in particular?

Is there a reason why someone else does?

Should I care?

Beats me.

Here’s a bit about Quad9’s mission:

Every transaction on the Internet starts with a DNS event. This name lookup reveals critically sensitive data about the person triggering that transaction. The nature of those name lookups has created a strong and dangerous motivation for commercialization of personal data from DNS recursive resolver services. Quad9 is the only large DNS resolver with a founding charter that includes privacy as a primary goal, and the Quad9 team is devoted to the concept of keeping personal data under the control of the end user.
Source: Quad9 home page

We care about that site in particular because it’s the one being sued for doing what the other ones are doing. If the ball keeps rolling on this then companies will be able to make sites disappear from the internet.

So I’m guessing you believe that that should never be allowed to happen?

There aren’t very many DNS resolvers out there so they are a ‘good’ target for new, censorious litigation and following legislation. This isn’t taking action against websites, it’s taking action against companies who just store lists of IP addresses.

Do you think companies should be able to sue:

• not the person uploading something to a website
  • not the person/company operating the website
  • not the company hosting the website
  • not the company providing data storage for the company hosting the website

… but one company out of a whole bunch who just resolves the IP address from a URL? Might as well just sue you, the person who happened to observing the initial URL, the text. If I store the IP address of a site and send it to a bunch of people should Sony be able to sue me?

Maybe people should start using IP addresses instead of domain names.

There might be a browser extension out there that does that. What to do though when an IP address changes without notice?