Writing Lyrics

Bruce Lee said it long ago. Be like water my friend.

And the chorus laughed at your silence.

Possibly of some interest: http://songchops.com/songwriter-glossary/

The second main track Iā€™m working on sprang out of attempts to finish the first one. The first one though has imo a good middle eight solo break so Ima probably use it in the second [as I rate it better than first] IF I can somehow transition to it where it all sounds natural enough.

iow Iā€™m treating everything that exists in the ā€œtwoā€ songs as a pool of candidate parts for the arrangement in both tracks. Thereā€™s two definite tracks there, both being made in the same era or time window. So as the number of sections increase, so do the options.

To finish the [often difficult] lyrics for one track, I often drop the attempt altogether and write lyrics for an entirely new track, and itā€™s often then that the words for the first track show up i.e after getting out of the wheel ruts and venturing on a new tack. It all gets back to keep moving past the blocks, keep the riffs, chord progs, lyrics etc. coming.

Quite a good detailed and concise guide.

1 Like

It seems to be at least worth skimming over. Also, I never really did any writing exercises of the sort pointed out over there. Some of those might be worth exploring.

Certainly thorough.
Nice find

On the surface the greater site looks like a typical ā€˜Sign up for my free newsletterā€™ and get sucked into a subscription sort of site, as well as a typical ā€˜Learn how to write hit songsā€™ sort of thing. But after a little closer survey, there seems to be some useful stuff there. Or maybe Iā€™m about to sign up for a paid newsletter on writing hit songs. :grinning:

I think one thing to keep in mind on writing lyrics is that there is no end game (not telling any of youā€™z this). Like music, it seems to be more of a journey than an arrival. Not so much, do this, and do this, and do that, and youā€™re a songwriter from here on out. But it does seem to be a lot about looking at things from different perspectives and creative problem solving to get things done (like music) and sometimes just flailing. So I guess taking on someone elseā€™s exercises in thinking about different approaches and finishing songs could be a good thing, keeping in mind the first thing about it not being an ultimate arrival. Or just looking over some of it might spur some personal exercises and approaches.

One exercise that I saw there, part of which has crossed my mind in the past but I never pursued, is taking someone elseā€™s song that resonates with you and writing new lyrics to it. Then flipping that, taking the lyrics of the the song and writing new music to it. Then putting together the new lyrics and new music. That process could spur a lot of thinking about personally satisfying songs and why they work, with an approach in kind of the opposite direction of what we might typically aim for, being to stay far away from anything that might plagiarize someone elseā€™s stuff. The exercise seems to be about using an existing song as a grease and framework to get the gears moving and working.

Iā€™m going to have a go at it using, Tom Petty - U Get Me High. A simple song in terms of music and lyrical content, but a really good one nonetheless.

A recent abandonment of a couple of verses:

On the take
Canā€™t stand still
In the midst of mayhem
Fall before your enemy
Surrender, the servant

Flesh and soul
The knife slips in
Adore the undertaker
Under pleasure silent kill
Awakening the lonely

Itā€™s one of those that just never rings true. Lyrics be hard as. :thinking:

That lyric seems a pretty good start, I did a version of it, itā€™s all good practice.
If it were my song, Iā€™d figure this is pretty much ready to be recorded [use any of those additions at will, or use as a springboard to something, or totally reject and ignore, songwriting is no place for taking offence at the drafting stages] :smile:

On the take
From those who give
In the midst of mayhem
Where we live
Fall before your enemy
Surrender, servant

And forever be

Flesh and soul
Wielding wounds
Under pressure
Until entombed
Adore the undertaker
Under pleasure silent kill
Awakening the lonely

I believe he said ā€œBe water, my friend.ā€ Slightly different.

Morgan, itā€™s a good rewrite, with a new meaning.

Yea, youā€™re right.

The theme being about injustice, it might need further clarification about who [in the story] is saying what, itā€™s maybe a bit too ambiguous atm.

Phonetically functional unfinished lyric for me latest upcoming tune featuring liberal sprinklings of cliches and hackneyed lines but works for the style of song what it is -

FOOL FOR YOU [totally different to track of same title posted some time ago]

Feelinā€™, might be an omen
For whatā€™s bringinā€™ ya down
Sneakinā€™ around
In the confusion
Of a grand illusion
Always somethinā€™ to say
Fully arranged
In your delusion

CH.
But Iā€™m a fool for ya honey
Youā€™re a fool for the takinā€™ too
Iā€™m a fool, ainā€™t it funny
Only you get to break the rules

Vrse.
Holdinā€™, this hand ainā€™t foldinā€™
Givinā€™ my time, to find, rhythm n reason
Reasons outta season
Pinninā€™ me down
Canā€™t make a sound
For dirty dealinā€™

CH.
Cos Iā€™m a fool for ya honey
Youā€™re a fool for the takinā€™ too
Iā€™m a fool, ainā€™t it funny
Only you get to break the rules

Are you sure about that?
Of course you are.

Cheers msore, great to see you here.

Yeh now you mention it ā€œ[a]feeling might be an omenā€ [first line of song]. If Iā€™d written it more recently it almost certainly would be political!

More of a poem I guess.

Another oldie.