What are you recording right now

Thanks Garrick, I should probably redo the RG track at least. It was recorded in a different key and been jerked around with pitch shifters.

https://soundcloud.com/garrick-northover/ohohoh

First sketch. I think it has potential.
My wife thinks it goes too long
But what does she know :slight_smile:

Made me think of Mo Tucker and her pals. You play the piano?! Your style is delicate, I’d say. It just works. I envy you.

Thanks Jorgen
I’m more of a chunk out a chord player. Enough to get the idea

I’m hoping maybe some of you can help set me straight on something.

I spend a huge amount of recording time chasing tone. Trying to find interesting tones between guitars with different pickups and different amp and pedal settings. Occasionally I do stumble across something interesting but to be honest, the music suffers.

I’ve also come to the realization that a lot of the interesting tones I hear in commercial music are the result of musicians who are much better at playing their instruments than I am, and post production tools and expertise I will never have.

Curious what others think.

Thanks

Using only my practice gtr while resurfacing the neck of me LP Custom. https://soundcloud.com/user-750395062/combo-seems-like-only-yesterday-21a-143

Sweet.
I’ll have a listen when I’m home

The lyrics are kind of about music making generally, or maybe they’re about the drought or something, the song was written over a year ago.

I [re]posted the following at the Reaper forum just now, kind of rock/metal with a swing beat.

Well done. Fun music - you could carve out your own niche. Those voices/vocals are tripping over each other in a charming way.
About the solo guitars: they have a fab tone, hi-fi, that contrasts against the other sounds/instruments. I would keep the gits just as they are, and bring the other sounds a bit closer (put on a bit of sheen), to make the production as a whole more coherent. Imho.

Thanks Jorgen, okay I’ll see what I can do with the inst sounds, maybe put a touch of chorus on the bass, make the drums bigger etc.

When I said I’ll have a listen when I get home I was probably lying.
Very cool, particularly the backing vocals.
I’ve never done bvs. I have no idea why

Bv’s would be another good string to the bow for the Neil Young kind of vibe you got going on.

I don’t practice them, I record as soon as they’re worked out. Using an sm-57 mic [unidirectionalish] allows to play the notes on the unplugged electric gtr out of the mic’s path which helps as a guide.

Monday Morning, oldish folk song. One mic, mono recording. Not much processing, I don’t know what you could do to make it sound “better”.

Sounds fine as is. Maybe some subtle background strings would also sound good but the lone guitar + voice is cool.

Possible is to put a short and slightly varied guitar lead melody between verses [after each “Monday morning”] I would keep it as one single guitar track though. iow that gtr melody would be played a capella and maybe with some vocal humming accompaniments later in the song.

Tol, you still around? Bc partly in answer to your question about tone I posted that “Seems like only yesterday” track made with an entry level strat copy, free vst’s [My Drumset; a bass gtr vst in free Kontakt etc]

Sgear is the only sound on there that isn’t $0.00

I was doing a total resurfacing of me LP gtr neck which took quite a while so I did a “mock up” version of the track using the cheap strat copy, but I kind of like it on that particular song. I’ve got a better quality Yamaha but it’s out of service as well atm.

Yep, still here.

To be honest, I haven’t really been recording, or even playing much, since all this Covid stuff happened.

I’ve also begun scaling back my recording ambitions, unloading a lot of gear once all these lockdowns are lifted and just going back to basic 12 bar blues, simple rhythms, and focus on my playing and musicianship rather than dinking around with a lot of software and tech stuff. Not that there’s anything wrong with the tech stuff, just want to focus more on the music.

Good work on “Seems Like Only Yesterday”, really liked that tone.

I might have something to post in a few days on an Am 12 bar blues thing I’m calling, “Locked Down in Paradise”.

Thanks. I’m also ‘guilty’ of tone chasing, in my particular case it’s mostly drums and bass. As for guitar sounds Ima quote Jorgen’s line “I’m a presets kinda guy” haha I love that line, my sentiments exactly.

Still can’t link to files on my Dropbox from here, so I posted this on the Reaper Forum:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2345508#post2345508

Fat fingered a few notes. :slight_smile: