Any Linux users here?

I definitely empathize with him.

Dependencies is a good example of a stupid problem for linux, among a bunch of stupid problems. It should be such a non-issue. Either every application has it’s own libraries, or a table of applications and their specific library requirements is kept and followed by the package manager.

Reading this now:

It seems like all these app package projects are putting multiple eggs in the same basket and largely nulling themselves through undesired traits. The main problem is getting rid of the stupid dependencies issue, which shouldn’t be a big deal. But on and on it goes. That is aside the points of sandboxing and permissions, distribution of packages, and compatibility among multiple distros.

If dependencies were solved (it’s a linking issue, not a packaging issue), compatibility and sandboxing should be much easier. Then package managers could distribute however they like, no need for an edgy named package format.

Yeah, I still blame purist Linux users, the “Linux is the IDE, dumbass” guys. So much so that languages and build systems go out of their way not to make that the case, isolating development or other environment libraries from system libraries!

To avoid having to recompile everything, Linux could have an extra permission to make an executable search it’s own dir first for linking to shared libs. Without that things would have to be compiled with a couple of flags, but that purism speaking because it would be a choice.

From that article:

So what are the problems with this happy-clappy story? Several of them!

First let’s be clear: Snappy is a Canonical project.

The Canonical hate in the community is real. They could release a patch that introduces lightning fast quantum computing with the x86 instruction set and it would be rebelled against!

How’s the Tuf btw?

It’s a bit like the trend of hating Manjaro. Some deserved, some not.

Just pulled The Tuf out of the box and running it now (Windows). Pros so far: The keyboard seems fine, which I prefer over my old thinkpad. Bluetooth connected right away to the living room audio setup. That’s about it on the pros so far. :expressionless: Cons: The display looks very washed out, and FHD res @ 17.3" isn’t great to my eyes for text. With the size of text at 100% scaling, there is no real benefit to 1080 @ 17.3" over 15.6". The touchpad click pressure is pretty high to get a click. I’m running tap to click to avoid it, which I don’t like. Speakers lack bass and highs, sounding like the cheapest of cheap (like the display looks). For some reason the thing wouldn’t start up at first shot. It seems to be that the battery was dead and the IEC cable was making poor contact in the socket of the power supply. There is definitely some slop there, and I think I heard some clicking when wiggling the IEC cable. I’m not terribly enthused about it.

Just did a little more very slight wiggling at the psu IEC cable. There is definitely an issue there of poor contact depending on how the IEC plug is positioned.

Oh, that’s a disappointing first whirl. The 15" screen is alright, it’s weird the combos of parts for this range - the laptop I sent back without WQHD res was (allegedly) HDR compatible, this one isn’t.

The keyboard is nice right enough and I prefer it over the Thinkpad P52s I had before. I like the gaps. And the Ctrl+Fn keys being where they should be without having to flip a BIOS switch.

edit: That cable issue is defo a full/part replacement/return problem. Mine is tight as a gnatt’s chuff.

So far the keyboard is the only thing I really like. Without directly comparing I couldn’t say that it is better than the average laptop keyboard these days, but I prefer it over my old thinkpad keyboard that lots of people seem to prefer for some reason.

How is the 15.6" QHD display faring? It seemed to get pretty good marks in reviews.

It’s really nice for me, highest res display I’ve had. I don’t have your depth of knowledge and eye for detail with these things though, screens for me are like film audio is for other people, I only notice when they are crappy.

You would definitely notice the quality of this display. It’s pretty bad. :wink: I actually don’t care that much about color accuracy, brightness, contrast, and such though. But the display in my old thinkpad (W520) is actually pretty decent, and comparing the two, the display in the Tuf A17 just looks super cheap. The biggest deal for me is always the appearance of text and general ease on the eyes when reading. Anything else that is good is just nice to have. If you ever experienced wicked chronic eye strain from reading on a display you’ll know what I mean. Using gui’s and watching video is no big deal on the poorest of displays in terms of eye fatigue. But displaying text well is ironically kind of demanding for avoiding eye fatigue (if you’re prone to it). And virtually no manufacturers or reviewers are doing anything special in terms of displaying text for avoiding eye fatigue, so it’s a bunch of try and see for end users who are prone to it.

That’s bad they’ve thrown a crappy display in that. I’d like to think it might be a lemon, but probably not.

I do prefer my Kobo e-ink reader for sitting down to read, there is something about reading on a screen or phone that’s less relaxing than having natural light do the work. Aside from that I don’t get eye fatigue itself from screens, which seems like a blessing from the sounds of things.

By the sounds of things you are one step closer to a pumpkin spice latte enabler!

I had a quick look through the UEFI. Not much there. Mostly settings that no one cares about.

As good as Macbook displays look, they are mostly reportedly as terrible as anything else in terms of eye fatigue. The few that I have played around with for more than a few minutes were screaming eye fatigue. Very bright, PWM otherwise, blooming white text when doing white on black. Some of the ipads get good marks here though. But an ipad ain’t a laptop.

As much as OLED burn-in turns me off, something OLED without PWM might be what I need to look at. The display in my phone is pretty good at not giving me eye fatigue. Of course text is very sharp at such high dpi, but also black is blacker and white is whiter without the bloom.

And yea, there definitely is something offputting about looking at regular displays in general. I think it’s mostly down to light bleed through, PWM, and temporal dithering, as reported by so many other people. Looking into bright light is an obvious issue, but even dimming it way down doesn’t solve eye fatigue. PWM (pulse width modulation) fakes dimming by flashing the backlight. The less time it is on, the less bright the display looks to our brains, but it’s the same brightness level, only being flashed off and on. That flashing can be eye murder, even if you don’t perceive the flashing. Various forms of temporal dithering are also used to fake wider color range, essentially doing the same sort of thing, flashing off and on neighboring pixels or sub-pixels in relation to one another to trick our brains into seeing colors that aren’t actually present. And I think pretty much all displays use forms of temporal dithering. If a display is 8-bit, it might be 6-bit + FRC (frame rate control; form of temporal dithering) to give 8-bit color. If a display is 8-bit, it is probably being used to fake more color for an HDR rating. If it is 10-bit, it is probably doing the same to fake 12-bit. And gpu’s and software also do forms of temporal dithering. Also, as I understand it, modern displays refresh in a different way than the old CRT’s did (never got eye fatigue from a CRT, but got red eyes for sure). CRT’s did it line by line. I think LCD’s do a whole screen or multiple partial screens per refresh. With CRT’s it was such a smaller area being ‘flashed’ at a time by comparison. And really, each single line was being drawn across the screen, not flashed.

A common comment that I have seen macbook users talk about is the lack of ‘solidity’ or things looking ‘less solid’ when reading text. Think that might have something to do with flashing pixels?

I might need to use this thing for a few days to see how it works out for reading text, in case I might be jumping the gun on how the display looks vs. whether it kills my eyes. So far it isn’t murdering my eyes, despite the piss poor quality of it. Not so attractive to look at (relative to nicer displays), but possibly not bad for eye fatigue(?).

You can drag the file to terminal and it will show the full path

Maybe not on wayland though

1 Like

Nice tip!

Did not know that either, cheers!

Interesting read here on the gist of how Wine works:

I’ve just learned that on Manjaro if there’s ever a package you really, really need to be bang up to date then you can just download/double-click install from the Arch package repo:

https://archlinux.org/packages/

1 Like

Good tip. I never heard of it.

I just learned about Ventoy today. It’s a bootable usb creator. You open Ventoy (was available in the Manjaro respository), select your usb drive, and click a button to install Ventoy to the drive. During the process you can set the size of the bootable partition to the size you want, leaving free space for creating other partitions with a partition manager. And then the bootable usb shows up in your file manager as ‘Ventoy’, and you can just drag and drop any bootable iso’s (multiple if you like) to that bootable partition. And that’s it. When you boot from the usb drive, you can select from any of the iso’s that you dropped onto the Ventoy partition. And the remainder of the drive can be used for storage.

Any hoo, I’m off to hopefully setup a dual boot. I need Windows for work, and I think I’ll also go back go back to Manjaro XFCE after having used Manjaro Gnome for a while. XFCE is on the ugly side, but Gnome just cripples things at every turn. And Gnome is noticeably slightly laggy on my machine doing basic things like opening a file manager or text editor, which gets more annoying over time.

EasyBCD is pretty nice too if you have to dual boot windows on the same drive.