What are you recording right now

This is a track which sprang from another ‘soon to be completed’ track.

I figured I’d post it now bc imo at this stage of a track it’s best served by posting it and viewing any critiques, any comments whatsoever welcome.

There’s at least one glaring problem with the lyric.

If you’ve heard it, the line “to the dawn of a grand new life” could easily be misheard as “to the dawn of a grand new LIE” thus defeating the purpose of the lyric. Fkn rotten luck that, now I prolly need to change both that line and the one preceeding it FFFOKKKKK :slight_smile:

The contrasting parts are cool. I had problems following the transition between them, though, something about the rhythm. The solo is fine.

The transition part was supposed to ramp up to the faster tempo but it sounds a bit like a military thing, which wasn’t intended, I simply thought maybe a staccato beat might work there, I’ve heard that kind of thing on rock tracks before.

Maybe I’ll try some syncopated or half time feel that’s more regular. There’s some issues with the vocals there too, thanks for listening.

I listen occasionally to your recent track I collabed on, even my mix i.e my tracks added to your initial mix sounds pretty good. I don’t think it needs to be any better.

That part is fine with those drums . I mean the two(?) bar thing at 0.46, and 1.52 etc. I lose the groove, sort of.

No, sounds fine. I’ve done 6 takes - vocals and acoustic git - and don’t like any of them. I put it aside for a while, I must have listened to it a hundred times by now. I’ll get it done one day, maybe soon.

May as well keep going, again there’s obvious issues with this track, some easier to remedy than others.

https://soundcloud.com/user-100853162/jagareftervind210703

Me and Morgon on electric guitar.

Vocals are even better now. The entire performance imo is fine now. The mix is good but could be better imo if the bass guitar were to have a couple of frequencies notched out.

If you put the [free] Voxengo Span vst on the kick drum track [if all drums are on one track then it’s possible to go to Piano Roll view and then click the kick drum key to view it’s frequency on Span]

And if you do the same for the electric guitar rhythm track then you could put an Eq on the bass gtr and lower those two frequencies out of the bass.

In my experience the bass will then retain it’s power and be more defined because it’s not competing with those other frequencies.

Thanks, I will give the eq-thing a go, see what gives.

New mix

That was the most ambitious production I’ve heard from you. Technically top notch. Good, strong sounds in the mix. Artistically far out. Made me think of Queen in places.

Yes, much better imo, there’s a lot more definition now. Maybe I would turn the bass vol up slightly now even if my guitar vol has to come down slightly. It’s a good mix now though.

Maybe I would turn the kick drum up slightly as well but these suggestions are personal preferences. Congrats on the track, has excellent orchestration/performances and atmosphere, well done.

Thanks Jorgen, there was a few technical glitches in System Override that I’ve since fixed so I guess it’s pretty much done now.

Had another listen, the mix does sound very good imo.

New mix, better vocals.

Sounds very good. Jag vet inte vad texten betyder, men de låter också bra.

Ha-ha-ha! Well, it’s a romantic theme, love and death and ghosts and such. Pretty old song, I was really serious at the time, pretentious too.

Working on a bunch of tracks but this one fwiw is the most ‘finished’.

Couple of years back Bladerunner on the Reaper forum had suggested to some of us to write something using some overused modern cliche progression, as an exercise.

That’s how this track started out, featuring the way overdone well known vim IV I V[7] progression.

There’s still some mix issues, some I’m aware of and some I’m undoubtedly not; any comments welcome.

What’s that processing on the vocals? Cool song, couldn’t really figure out the chords on a first run. What is

?

And if I may say so: It warms my heart that we’re making some music now and then. Where’s Garrick?