What are you recording right now

Is that a fashionably intersectional interpretation or does it have a long history of being a prominent alternative? I’m struggling to imagine a successful race who confuse hairy men with women… :slight_smile:

It might be
Some maori activists tend towards the woke faux left persuasion I’ve noticed
Whoever wrote that piece might have taken liberties with the translation there

Its a legit Ngati Toa site and they describe the history and story quite well
But, Maori can have a few interpretations
First time I heard of that version without the hairy man
I might need to dig deeper on that, see what some unbiased translators give up

There’s an ancient Maori saying I just made up: “may the tribe festooned with the most grant money throw the blue haired ones some verbal crumbs as repayment”. :smiley:

Do you guys ever work on a song that you know is mediocre, but you still need to finish it ?

Maybe as long as it’s mediocre it’s never finished?

Not that I presume everyone rates what I do as above mediocre, in terms of pro level esp.

There’s pretty much infinite possibility to alter sections or arrangements that need improvement. While ever there’s one thing about the original song idea I like, I’m loathe to let it go bc experience tells me that after the initial ‘inspiration’ there’s a gruelling tradesmanlike task ahead to produce the full blown article.

iow it becomes more or less a matter of orchestration and arrangement at some point.

I figure it’s within your power to improve something if it’s within your power to discern improvement is needed.

Eg if a vocal part seems a bit dull, maybe put larger interval jumps in the melody, or add some quick succession vowel phonetics in the lyric. There’s always something you can do. I like to mess around with chord fragments/rhythms behind the lyric that doesn’t distract from the vocal, often consciously avoiding generic strumming of the guitar, even one or two bars of a strummed section has a lot of syncopation possibilities.

The following is not the madeover track I mentioned earlier [Fool for You] but another that I’ve posted before. This version has totally redone RG tracks as the original had too much pitch shift audio loss from transposition to new key. The song is a bit juvenile kinda but has quite a bit of non generic RG in it, for dynamics. If attention hadn’t been given to the rhythm figures throughout the track it would have been way more mundane imo

Yes, and I think most people probably do. Maybe for the sake of finishing it and putting it away, for the practice of doing the various involved work for when the more inspired ones come along, or in hope that it might change along the way. I can’t see any harm in finishing a mediocre song as long as I know what it really is, but I should finish more of them.

By the way, I heard one from Pavement recently. Good fun music, but those lyrics. I can only think that maybe the lyrics were a place holder and never got a rework.

And irony strikes. I like those lyrics now after letting them set in more.

A couple of questions from an interview, worthy of sharing

Sounds like a good start for beginning to put together music. I would add to it by saying to later revisit some of those original pieces daily and letting them naturally expand and flesh out by just jamming on them and seeing which directions they might want to go.

I’m not really a believer in writer’s block. I think it’s just a matter of figuring out where to put in time to play with ideas and work on things. And of course, being inspired in the first place and interested in doing the thing. I remember mentioning on the old forum long ago that I had tons of little unfinished pieces, but I didn’t realize at the time that was just the beginning stage.

That’s pretty much my default way of writing,
Have a handful or 2 of riffs that I’m working on
Expanding them with different dynamics and trying to find which link up together

Most of my stuff I either heard it in my head first and worked it out,
or I played something by accident, and kept it :smiley:

Hadn’t really thought of the above before, just make yourself write something every day and leave it alone
Could work in parallel to the usual

https://soundcloud.com/user-100853162/unga-man-220116

A re-mix, the recording is a couple of years old. It always had this dull sound I couldn’t get rid of, but this one sounds better to my ears.

Closing Time Forever 2022

My third revision of this song. I consider it finished now. Guitar by forum member Morgon.

Good mix. Maybe there could be more verb/delay on the lead vocal. The vocal is really good as it is, though sounds spatially very close compared to the far more distant guitar.

Gladly. Will try it right away.

Holy fucka doodle, I remember you started this as a collab on the reap forum, like , years and years ago.
It sounds great my friend. Well done!

New mix

A blast from the past – or the future? :sunglasses: These days, who can tell?

Yeh that sounds really grand now, a nice sheen, well done indeed.

All tracks I’ve posted over the last couple of years have since had upgrades of varying degrees.

This Game Has No Rules for instance has bk vocal and ld gtr additions, and some redo of various sections.

Very cool with contrasting parts. Gives the track a progressive touch. Prog may be the way forward for rock bands today, there’s a scene for it with an enthusiastic and faithful audience.

I wouldn’t mind hearing your voice on it’s own (no overdubs) upfront now and then for variation and contrast.