What are you recording right now

The songs are getting stronger and I can hear a cream guitar tone style. Great stuff!!

Morgan and Garrick;

Really appreciate that, means a lot. This is the first time I’ve done anything like this, glad it’s working out well.

Most of the credit goes to Barry. It’s his vocals, his lyrics, drums, bass, mix, I just play the guitar.

Thanks again.

This one is dedicated to The Clash/Sandinista. Windows moviemaker and Youtube fucked up the sonics, the master sounded pretty good, imho.

1 Like

Yeah, nice, really like the “ting” percussive noise that comes in, and the filtered synths.
That 80s jazz-funk-ish chord progression is killer (0:42 etc.)

Sounds cool Jorgen, and if you’re not familiar with the jargon, domzy’s “killer” comment is supposed to mean “very good”

I’d prefer such over evocative terms fade from the lexicon, too much of it in English language countries imo, I mean wtf has music got to do with killing anything ffs

You learn something new every day! Anyway, I really like Sandinista, sounds totally modern to my ears. Thanks, guys.

Now with moving pictures. My most ambitious video to date.

Thanks BW, good to see you here mate.

I posted this on the Reaper forum but got no replies. Just a D Major rhythm track that I’ve been working on. I make a break or key change, not sure what the proper term is, about half way through and wanted to see if people think it works musically. My music theory and song composition is a bit weak.

Thanks

i think you’d call it a middle 8 (though i think it might be 9 bars long)? - sounds like it might be modulating to the relative minor (Bmin) - a bit of a classic move in terms of music theory - it sounds fine.

Thanks Domzy, and yes, it does got to Bm.

Guess I’ll move forward with tightening up the performance and then add the lead guitar parts.

It sounds interesting in a good way that changeup, up until then I was thinking it a good take on a fairly standard D,C,G to A. progression. You got that rolling sound on the C chord etc sounds really good. Then that changeup heads off on a bit of a journey, it works well as the theme strays quite a distance from home before returning, should be an interesting task figuring out the leads. Targeting tonic, thirds and fifths of each chord can help to link lead lines smoothly. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Nice synth work there Jorgen, high quality. Your tracks are always musical whichever insts you use.

I’ve posted tracks there in collab where there’s been scores of views but no one listened to the track!

I sometimes wonder why so many would bother to read posts that are only about a track, but don’t bother to listen to the track.

Thanks, man. Actually, an old tune I wrote directly in the midi editor of Logic… with a wind synth as accompaniment, no chords at all. I’ve been thinking for a long time I should do something with it, and so I did, finally. I wouldn’t be surprised if I do some kind of remix one of these days - other sounds, other rhythms etc etc.

My synths are cheap or free, amazing what people are giving away these days. Those guys and gals have my love and respect.

And since we’re talking music… The instrumental things I do are strictly computer stuff, on the grid, sequencer compositions… the creative part is probably the mix. And I find I don’t have to do much of that, except putting the faders and pans in their right place. The shit just sounds great to my ears.

But: You could definitely do more, with envelopes, automation and what have you… fine-tune those effects, sculpt the sounds with whatever you happen to have available. Truth is I can’t be bothered. Maybe things are too easy these days?

Sometimes I use audio and midi loops. Is that music really mine? I assemble musical elements, but is that composing/music making? Sure, I may “put my spin” on it all… I enjoy it. Still, how creative is that?

I added some lead guitar to that D major rhythm track. Just messing around, first take kind of stuff.